Monday, December 24, 2012

MAINTAINING GOOD HEALTH

Perhaps few countries celebrate as many Public Holidays as the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago which is why we have probably been voted one of the five happiest countries on earth. In addition to these holidays we are blessed with two full days of Carnival the greatest show on earth, with pre-carnival activities nationwide including Calypso tents, Chutney shows, Kings and Queens of Carnival, fetes.etc. If you should ever wonder why we are known as a Calypso nation and fun-loving people visit: http://gotrinidadandtobago.com/travel-information/country-information/ and be sure to make your reservation to coincide with this tremendously popular festival.

If we are to enjoy the true spirit of Carnival we must get ourselves in great condition and this can only happen if we are in tip top physical condition. Some twenty and more years ago my sedentary lifestyle almost got the better of me when I found I could not walk briskly without suffering palpitations and feeling as if I was going to die. I decided to start a morning exercise regimen which my wife kindly agreed to support by accompanying me on regular early morning walks. For several weeks I had to stop and sit for a while before continuing before my body became accustomed to the physical activity.

Several years later I earned a gold medal for completing a 5k Run and Walk which I had helped organize during a World Food Day Activity put on by the Tunapuna/Piarco Regional Corporation. I have continued my outdoor morning exercises once weather permits alternating jogging with brisk walking and sessions on the exercise machines which I had placed on Clayton Ince recreation ground at Maloney Gardens when I served as Councillor of the Mausica/Maloney Electoral District (1999-2010).

This is how I have kept fit
RESIDENT TRYING OUT EXERCISE EQUIPMENT
I recommend that you start your day by drinking a glass of water and consume at least two litres of water each day plus regular servings of fresh fruits, greens and vegetables, and fish rather than red meats.

HANDING OVER OF EQUIPMENT

What I have personally found useful is the juicing of specific items such as apple, cucumber, carrot, celery, beet, pineapple, and regular servings of a variety of nuts, bananas, watermelon and pawpaw. My favorite pill is garlic pearls. Sounds intimidating? Perhaps! I do recommend as well that this should be done with sound dietary advice as too much of anything can have the opposite effect to what was intended.

It is also advisable to maintain a diet that will reduce fatigue and mental exhaustion and so maintain acceptable blood pressure and blood sugar levels to avoid the onset of stroke, kidney and/or heart failure. In addition eating at regular hours serves to minimize the risk of low blood sugar levels that triggers nervousness and irritability. I purchased two Home Kits to enable me to check my blood pressure and blood sugar levels regularly and visited my Physician at least twice a year.

I have tried my utmost to avoid the use of non- prescription drugs, and have given up caffeine, tobacco and other addictive substances thereby enhancing my capacity to enjoy a healthier lifestyle. To be honest, coffee was the only thing which gave me a lot of problems to give up as I had stopped drinking in 1977 and smoking in 1984. You may well ask why then did I have so many health problems! Lack of exercise is the answer to that question.

It is important at this time for you not to worry when you forget things easily or feel disoriented at times although this can be a disconcerting experience. While early in your quest for good health the best form of exercise is walking, you need to be sure that other health problems do not present themselves when you begin.

Consult with your physician to help determine the type of exercise with which you can safely begin and when you do begin, take it easy at first. If possible have someone accompany you on these regular early morning walks. Try not to do too much at first and you can build up as you go along.

Early to bed early to rise is sound advice as the mind is more alert very early on mornings. During the day ten minutes of absolute rest will do wonders for your mind and body. An example of the importance of rest can be found in the Book of Genesis where God having worked six days at creating the world, rested on the seventh day! Remember this quotation however when thinking of rest, viz. “Lack of occupation is not rest; a mind quite vacant is a mind distressed.”

It is not always possible to live the life of which we dream, but we can if we wish make for ourselves the semblance of a life of leisure, if only for a while. And what better way to do this than by finding peace and quiet wherever we can and whenever we can. Go to a concert, buy yourself a guitar, a harmonica, go to the beach or the river, play a game of cricket, or golf. There is after all wisdom in the saying “All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.”

How has this worked for me? If I live to see the 12 January 2013 I would have lived for 65 years and I daresay I’m in better condition now than I was when I was 35. I am being told continuously that I look no way 65. Even if it’s only a mamaguy talk, I feel good to hear these words. Have a blessed day.

Be sure to check this link for important information on a Layperson's guide to drug abuse and Workplace Intervention Programmes    Google Sites



No comments:

Post a Comment