Sunday, January 1, 2017

MY SABBATH TESTIMONY

 Saturday 31st December 2016

John 16:7 Hebrews 10:25; Proverbs 22: 6; 2 Corinthians 6:2




Good morning Saints and a pleasant Sabbath to all.

I’ve been asked to say a few words this morning as a returning member of the Maloney Seventh Day Adventist Church and one who is again committed to serve as the Holy Spirit would direct rather than warm the benches or visit occasionally.

Some of you may know me as the former Local Government Representative for the Mausica/Maloney Electoral District where I served from 1999 to 2010, but more than that I was privileged to be a part of the Maloney Seventh Day Adventist Assembly who were here under the tent twenty six years ago and in fact my wife Jean and myself were baptised on March 31st 1990 by Pastor Joseph Mc Coon and for several years thereafter we were actively involved in Church activities which included working within the Community of Maloney.

Those of you who are internet savvy can Google both the active Facebook page and the website of the Family Resource Centre Trinidad and Tobago and read about some of the activities we successfully undertook through that NGO. Sisters Elsa Belfour and Althea Gooding played a big role in what we achieved. https://sites.google.com/site/ericribeirott/

But let me get to the staying away from church part. Some years ago I was going through some health challenges where I had difficulty walking and on December 30 2011 wrote this Facebook post: “Haven't been able to attend Church for several weeks now and definitely missing the Sabbath fellowship. But one must exercise wisdom and trust in the Lord. It's the Sabbath of the Lord. Blessed be His Holy name.”

This lasted perhaps three months but it’s a fact that staying away from church becomes a habit once you begin and as time went on I found other reasons why I couldn’t attend; but when the Holy Spirit is working in and on you, you begin to recognize those reasons for what they really are, excuses to justify your absence.

Hebrews 10: 25 says and I quote: “Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together , as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another  and so much the more as ye see the Day approaching”. And so the words “not forsaking the assembling of ourselves” kept haunting me every Sabbath morning.

It was only a matter of time before I felt compelled to return and since another of my health challenges was corrected by surgery last November it seemed like the appropriate time to do so. Of course my wife who has never stopped going to church and was visiting other places of worship kept insisting that I return and my parent’s insistence that I attend church as a child in obedience to the admonition in Proverbs 22:6 “Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it” also played a significant role in that decision.

It also helped that Jesus in John 16:7 promised us that “Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you”; and this made my return easier.

What I particularly found pleasing when I returned earlier this year was the genuine greetings from those who knew me, as well as from those who thought I was a newcomer and went out of their way to make me feel welcome. True Christianity and evangelism at work within the body of Christ.

I want to encourage any of you and especially the men who may have been absent as I was to put aside whatever doubts or perceived hurts you may have, let go of the past, embrace the present, and look towards a future with the Saints and Jesus in Glory.


2 Corinthians 6:2 says “For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted and in the day of salvation have I helped thee: behold, now is the accepted time, now is the day of salvation. Let us together make our calling and election sure. Come back home to the Church on the Hill( the pink church on the hill) and let us work together. Maloney is crying out for our help.

https://www.facebook.com/frctt/

No comments:

Post a Comment