Saturday, January 26, 2013

PRACTICAL APPLICATION OF RECOVERY-STEP TWO



                  Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

In approaching this step, one is compelled to acknowledge that anyone who can find an interest in reading these blogs either has an interest in the subject matter or is already well on their way to recovery, as the obsession that is drug use can really confuse and frustrate anyone who is compelled to watch a loved one continuing down the road to destruction oblivious to their encouragement or support.

Step two therefore is really geared towards encouraging the addicted person who has seen a light towards the end of the tunnel to make the necessary adjustment to his line of thinking or reasoning and move toward the acceptance of ideas which he had formerly rejected.

But after years of  having negative thoughts and feelings and with so many others either using them for their own benefit or profit and even those who would try to convince them that they are less than who they think they are, how do they start feeling good about themselves?

Low self esteem and feelings of shame and regret are perhaps the biggest problems anyone will face that will threaten recovery, but whether low self esteem came first or after your problems is irrelevant at this point.

What you think and say about you will come true for you, so from now on practise to think only positive thoughts such as:

My problem is not irreversible so I refuse to be bogged down by self-pity. There are millions of people around the world who have overcome an addictive personality disorder in one form or another before me and I won’t be the last.

I will make my recovery a lifetime commitment, I will learn to forgive myself and others, and will reinforce this determination every day.

I promise that I will make for myself a successful meaningful life, free from the burdens of fear and despair, and will endeavour to become financially responsible with positive personal management skills. 

I will be forever grateful that I am once again a dependable person who can trust myself do the right thing.

(You will meet persons who will advise you to take away the I from your speech and start saying WE. While the WE has its place for you this is not recommended in the beginning as you need to selfishly guard your recovery. Love yourself first, so that others can love you.)

I will ensure that I bring happiness to my family, will always try to respect their individuality, and will protect them from physical, mental and/or sexual abuse.

I will become willing to provide guidance to others without being critical, because I am the last person who should criticize anyone and will learn to appreciate the true meaning of unconditional love and also the true value of friendship.


No comments:

Post a Comment